Saturday, June 29, 2019

Summer scenes.

The days are getting so short! The SAD is kicking in! WAH!

Actually I wouldn't mind the days getting a little shorter; the dogs, especially junior dog Nipper, tend to be waking up too early. They're pretty good about it, but when I come rolling out of the bedroom after loafing around until 5:30 a.m., I feel like I've kept them waiting. I certainly don't like waiting when I have to use the can.

On a brighter note, I thought I might share a few visions of summer seen here and there.

I'm really proud of this little guy:


Last year I put in a couple of dahlias. One was to fill a hole, the other to replace a chrysanthemum that didn't survive the winter. I was told that in this climate, dahlia bulbs can only survive if you dig them up and let them slumber in a dirt-filled pot indoors, basically coddling them like children, or starlets. Well, I let nature take its course. One dahlia did go to the big nursery in the sky, but the other one survived and is doing great. Should be considerably bigger and more full of flowers this year.

This is... your guess is as good as mine.


It's the back of a tree house that was built long ago, and this window faces the street. Clearly the kids in the house had some kind of message here for passersby, but I have no idea what they were trying to say. I think I'm being taunted. Well, kids -- and they're probably old enough to have kids of their own now, judging by the look of the place -- you'll have to up your game. I've been taunted much worse than that, and I doubtless will be again.

Here is the most convincing sign that summer is indeed in full swing:



Yes, the first Herrschners Christmas catalog has arrived! My wife's a crafter, and she'll be glad to tell you that you had better be knitting already if you want your homespun presents to be under that tree on December 25. So get to work! Knit at the lake house! Knit at the barbecue! Knit at the ball game! Knit on the beach! There's only 179 days until Christmas!

Finally, here's the sky at 8:37 last night:


I'll take that.

No comments: