Friday, June 21, 2019

Geek no more.

Bad news on the dork step: ThinkGeek is closing down.

Parent company GameStop is shutting down the online store, your #1 stop for geek shopping for the last twenty years. Cruel fate! Where will people who need Star Wars, Star Trek, or Dr. Who merch go now? Or fans of anime, computer and console games, RPGs, cosplay, SF and fantasy, comic books and cartoons? Not to mention those seeking all kinds of weird gizmos, science toys, and whatnot? Especially the whatnot.

This will be tough on my own personal Santa Claus, the lovely and thoughtful Mrs. Key. She's gotten me quite a few presents over the years from ThinkGeek, some of which I've profiled here, like:


World's smallest operational Pac-Man Arcade Game!
Justice League paper clips!

Pac-Man ghost PJ pants that I didn't know glowed
in the dark until I got up in the night to use the
can and almost had a heart attack!
20-sided-die mug!

20-sided-die snack bowl! (Comes apart into two bowls;
one for dip, one for chips)

Medieval weapon pushpins! (Gonna buy a corkboard
just to use them)
Complimentary Timmy the Monkey stickers!

Lawful Good T-shirt!

BATPANTS!!!!!!!
And that doesn't include the 20-sided fuzzy dice for the car, the vanishing fireplace mug, the reusable hand-warmer that eventually could no longer be reused, and other things I couldn't find. All these were great gifts, often stocking stuffers, and all are the kind of gifts that will be harder to find now.

GameStop says they'll have "some" merchandise on the company site, which I assume will be only merchandise related to video games. Okay, I guess they know their business. But I'm no gamer. I'll miss getting ThinkGeek loot.

I sure hope this doesn't mean I have to grow up now. 😱

2 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

I have wasted many hours perusing https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/ perhaps it will be a satisfactory substitute?

FredKey said...

Going there now! Thanks, PLW!