Thursday, March 21, 2019

Dog chart.

I'd just about had enough of the dogs barking out the window, especially wee dog Nipper. Ever since he got tall enough to put his chin on the windowsill he's been sticking his head through the curtains and letting fly at random times of day. Once he got his Big Boy Bark, which makes him sound like a Rottweiler whose wife left him for a Chihuahua and who's looking to kick somebody's behind, he's decided to be the Early Alert System for the whole block. Half the time when I look outside there's nothing there.

We can't have this behavior. Sometimes my wife is here, having a remote meeting, and nothing breaks the spell of professionalism like a dog barking in the background. (Well, unless your profession is police dog trainer.) So I sat down with the boys for a little confab about this barking business and how to get it under control.

They wanted to give me some data, to help explain what they are barking at. 


They reminded me that their superpowered noses and ears allow them to pick up evidence of foul miscreants even when none are visible.

I wanted to know about the squirrel situation. I was assured that, reputations to the contrary, it is their position that squirrels seldom rise to the level of barking. "Just stupid" was the term used to describe said critters.

I don't think these data really help, but perhaps it's a beginning. The more you analyze a problem, the more approaches open up toward resolving it. Or not.

Anyone know where I can buy cat repellent?

3 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Ha! Our pooch barks at any UPS, FedEx, or service vehicle anywhere on the street. Footfalls on the front porch or the doorbell (even on TV) elicit the most spirited, vigorous responses, though. Happily, she's utterly oblivious to other animals. We've lots of dog walkers here, along with deer, and she expresses no interest in them at all. She's only about 40 pounds, but sounds like 140 pounds when in full throat!

bgbear said...

Ha, not having had a dog in over 20 years it takes some getting used to the random barks again. Bernie does not seem to have any rules. Barks at neighbors when they go to their cars or sometimes just to get attention.

A rat had his attention for an hour this weekend. Rat had the advantage hiding in the wood pile. Small woofs with a lot of concentration and frustration.

FredKey said...

Hello lads! It's good to know that when I'm away from the house my wife has the protection of 200+ pounds of dog. Nipper's louder but Tralfaz was the one who chased away a bear, so it's one of those two-blade defenses. Random barking is the price, I guess.

I did dream that we got a third dog, a tiny little thing called Cricket. Even my dreams don't want me to get any rest.