Sunday, March 5, 2017

Lent: So, how's it going?

Well, I ain't killed no one yet, so I guess it's passable. They never let a guy have any fun, though -- no arson, sucker-punching, embezzling, nothing.

Got off on a bad foot -- did not make it to church on Ash Wednesday. It's not a holy day of obligation, although many Catholics think or at least feel that it is. So do I, in a way, and missing it felt like getting off on a technicality. As it turned out, I had a commitment I had made before knowing that March 1 was Ash Day, and it ate up most of the morning. Lame, but there it was.

I want to thank Bill Donaghy for reminding me what I missed.

(More extensive version here.)

I must cut this short today, but I will say that if Lent is supposed to be a time of suffering, I'm getting that part right this week. Got to see my accountant about my taxes ("The IRS says they won't prosecute if you sign over your house") and the results of my annual physical will be in ("The lab says your blood is basically Easy Cheese"). So suffering is guaranteed to ensue.

No comments: