Sunday, May 10, 2015

Stick it to 'em.

Bumper stickers are a poor means of sharing information with the world at large. They may seem ideal---affiliations are spelled out clearly, and with a concision that makes Twitter tweets look like Moby-Dick. But therein may lie the problem. There's no argument, no logic, no fellowship that can fit on a bumper sticker that might convince, cajole, or engage. Enrage is more like it. Or else you're just preaching to the choir.

And I'm not even talking about politics or even sports affiliation. It seems like ten minutes after the first "My Child Is an Honor Student at Horkenblatz Academy" stickers went up, the first "Screw Your Honor Student" "My Chihuahua Is Smarter Than Your Honor Student" and the classic "My Kid Beat the Crap Out of Your Honor Student" stickers went up. (Ooo! Burn!)

Now there's this:


Harsh, dude! I agree, I'm not much interested in the stick figure family of the person in front of me, and the longer I'm stuck in traffic behind them, the less interested I become. But calling in an airstrike seems a bit extreme. Also, this was on a GL 450, a Benz SUV, and yet these kinds of rebuttal decals (epitomized by Calvin peeing on things) are usually associated with white-trash low-rent types. So Cletus hit the scratch off?

Anyway, there's no law against railing in print against stick figure families, nor should there be. But there's a lot of games around that suggest that the stick figure community is not going to take this lying down.


Just be careful, Cletus, is all I'm saying.

No comments: