Saturday, August 9, 2014

A piece of cake.

More strangeness from M&M's.


Birthday cake flavored M&M's candies. 

What in hell is going on at Mars?

The Impulsive Buy site gave these candies a favorable review, unlike some of the other variations of M&M's we've seen lately. ("I was disappointed by Pumpkin Spice, puzzled by Gingerbread, and grossed out by Red Velvet.")

I'm not sure when birthday cake became a flavor, anyway. I first saw it in Birthday Bash, a flavor of Perry's Ice Cream, at the ice cream stand. "Birthday Bash?" I asked the girl, reading from the menu. "What's that taste like?"

"It's SOOOO good!" she said, with a sincerity one usually only finds at football games. 

"But what does it taste like?"

"It's SOOO GOOD!"

I could therefore deduce that the flavor is: A) birthday, and B) good. So it might be like licking high-quality gift wrap? As you can imagine, my curiosity forced me to buy some. 

Well, it was so good. And it tasted like a vanilla cake with icing. Not necessarily birthday cake, but the kind of cake generally served on such occasions. "Wedding Bash" would have been dry cake with blah fondant. 

Even though we know the associations, "birthday" is not a flavor, and things that are not cake ought not to be flavored "cake." And yet, I knew exactly what the Birthday Oreos would taste like before I ate one, so I can't say there's no data connected to the descriptors. But what weird chemicals compose the flavor "cake"?

As for the M&M's, each candy is a larger than normal M&M, and they only come in three bright colors: yellow, blue, and red. I guess the chocolate does have some kind of cakey flavor, and the candy shell is a little more icing-like than normal. But they're not going to make me switch my chocolate habits. They'd be useful as a fast way to decorate a birthday cake or birthday cupcakes,  though.

My prediction for the next variant: Girl Scout Cookie M&M's. They didn't save Crumbs Bake Shop, but they would sure move a lot of M&M's.

No comments: