Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Blizzard, where is thy sting?

It's hard to believe now that two weeks ago was the biggest blizzard of the year.

It was easy to believe at the time.

Getting hit that hard that late in the season seemed like a dirty trick, not to mention a huge inconvenience. Even for me, working at home, there were many challenges. For one thing, the snow-loving dogs have been wet for two weeks. For another, it has been hard to play fetch.

It's in there somewhere, puppy! Keep looking!

But the bright side of a blizzard in the middle of March is that it can't hang around forever. If that nor'easter had whacked us in January, we'd have been climbing over crusty crap for two months. You'd hardly know now that we'd gotten walloped so hard.


What's that greenish stuff? 
That shot was from yesterday; on Sunday I had the big dog for a walk and the snow was still considerably higher. People were looking for spring, though, getting those flower pots ready for action.

I WANT TO PLANT DAMMIT

Yesterday was rainy, as is this morning, and between that and the snow melt everything is muddy. I'll take it. It's also causing a lot of fog, sometimes at sunrise and sunset but even mid-morning yesterday. I like fog. It's mysterious.

Mysterious fog of mystery

Fog is great if you don't have to drive in it. In fact, the same could be said of snowstorms. I'd go so far as to say that I was much more forgiving of weather when I was a little kid, when I didn't have to drive in, shovel, climb over, wait for a bus in, look professional during, worry about the house during, pay for the removal of, or otherwise deal with the more serious aspects of weather. A dark, dank, rainy morning was the best time to be in school, if you had to be there.

I'll say this for snowstorms, though -- blizzards may be the least bad major weather event you can get hit by. Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, cyclones, tidal waves, wildfires, mudslides -- geez, give me a blizzard anytime.

No comments: