Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Warning labels.

 


For a long time I've been annoyed with bumper stickers, even if I agree with their sentiments -- but most of the time I don't. They're either bragging or threatening violence, or just being rude. Isn't there enough rudeness as it is?

Worst, of course, are the political loons who are determined to stick something with their cause on every exposed quarter-inch of the car. But that at least serves a purpose -- as a warning label.

For a long time I've thought that people ought to come with warning labels. Some are provided by nature -- red hair, for example. (I know, I know -- just because I had universally bad luck with redheads doesn't mean they're all crazy or evil. Maybe it means they have good taste!)

Nowadays people are thoughtfully providing their own warning labels so you know who the crazy ones are. Weird hair color, bizarre tattoos and lots of 'em, industrial size hunks of metal as piercings -- all these are as helpful as a pantload of poop to identify people with whom you want to maintain distance. 

If that's how they want to express themselves, that's A-OK. We believe that free speech is a right that comes from the God that made us. I, of course, expect the same protection of my right.

It would be a different case in the fictional nation of Fredtopia, where Benevolent King Fred rules with a kindly philosophy but an iron fist. Automobiles would be permitted no more than three bumper stickers. They could have any message they wanted -- Down with King Fred, Fred = Jerkface, King Fred Shags Wildebeest -- that's where the benevolent side comes in. But the presence of a fourth bumper sticker means a twenty-four-hour warning to remove one. If the offending excess sticker remains, the car is impounded, stickers above the number three removed by random selection, and the car returned upon receipt of the appropriate fine. Repeat offenders will face escalating fines and points on their licenses. 

Benevolent but firm. 

In other words, King Fred's message is: While we appreciate your freedom of speech, the Crown will remove signs of public insanity in the interest of keeping the peace. 
 
On that note, King Fred would also have unmuffled vehicles policed. Your car or pickup runs at 100 decibels, you get three days to muffle that bastard. On day four the vehicle is impounded and used for trebuchet practice. Silence, like the Crown, is golden. 

5 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

I once had a bumper sticker that said "Honk if You Think I'm Sexy". I would wait at green lights until I felt better about myself.

FredKey said...

I'd say whatever floats your boat, PLW, but it seems to take very little for yours.

technochitlin said...

The only bumper sticker I ever had was one on my clapped-out '66 Beetle that said, "My Other Car is a Piece of Shit too". I was pulled over by the Smyrna GA police and given a ticket for public vulgarity. (Ah, the Seventies... Such a simpler time.)

Regarding vehicles like the one Fred displayed above- isn't it better if the idjits self-identify?

🐻 bgbear said...

I also strongly implies you do not like the car you drive.

peacelovewoodstock said...

To be easily amused is both a blessing and a curse.