Saturday, October 28, 2023

Not dead yet.

And indeed, as posted in this cartoon I put together for Lileks.com's hearty band of Bleatniks last week, I am not dead. 

You had to be there.

Earlier this month I mentioned that I was having trouble with my right ear, something that had last come up in 2018, and at the time the doctor had no diagnosis for me. So it came back, and I got an MRI, and then waited most of the month to see the ear doc again. So, the good news: Not dead, and...


I suppose it's always good to not have a tumor. Except for the suicidal, or those suffering from another mental illness, I can't think of anyone who'd be thrilled to have one. What I have is another of what my wife calls the Irish-type illnesses, things that can ruin your life but not kill you. (Arthritis, sciatica, psoriasis, stuff like that.)

What is it? Well, it seems to be Ménière's disease, a disease of unknown origin that can cause hearing loss. It surprised me, because it also can cause extreme vertigo. I didn't think I had suffered vertigo, but then I remembered that not only have I had vertigo for unknown causes three times in my life, but I had blogged about it the last time it happened -- all the way back in... 2018. That was a banner year. 

Patients with Ménière's have a terrible time with vertigo, not just three attacks over two decades. But my doctor said the condition comes in many flavors, and it's not the same for everyone. 

Still, he's not 100% on the diagnosis. I have to go back next April. Meanwhile, I'll be grateful that it isn't worse than it is, I'll pray the vertigo does not return, and I'll watch out for the salty foods, which can exacerbate the condition. Like I said -- diseases that can ruin your life without killing you. 

5 comments:

Stiiv said...

A lady I work with has Meniere's disease...though her "solution" seems to be opiates, which I can't see helping. (Makes her loopy at work, tool.)

technochitlin said...

Many 'solutions' seem to be "If I get high enough, it won't bother me any more." Been guilty of it myself.

It's not a cure, but it is a solution.

peacelovewoodstock said...

I had several of those symptoms recently but lucky me, all I needed was dental surgery.

My dentist will give me nitrous oxide during surgery, all I have to do is ask for it, but it adds $40 to the bill that insurance won't cover. Meanwhile I'm thinking, that's the price of a decent bottle of bourbon.

I could get a box of whippets for about $12, next time maybe I'll bring some and DIY the nitrous.

Dan said...

Glad to read it's not fatal. ...Next APRIL?

Mongo919 said...

Vertigo. It's why I stopped piloting. After falling down the basement stairs a few years ago and fracturing my skull, I get a bit disoriented if I turn my head quickly or look up at the moon or stars without holding on to something. Not exactly Chuck Yeager stuff. Sorry you have the issue, Fred. Makes life more challenging than you need it to be.