Friday, January 6, 2023

Crymate change.


Is the rooster facing the wrong way on this weathervane clip art? 

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with seasonal affective disorder or post-Christmas blahs or what, but our unseasonably warm temperatures haven't lifted my spirits. Maybe I like the fighting with the snow that usually comes in January. Takes my mind off things. I don't think I'd miss the snow much if I moved south and never ran into it again. But a good fight can bring a guy some pride.

As usual, most of our neighbors couldn't wait to get all their Christmas decorations down, as if the whole thing had been a big mistake and they wanted to forget it and move on. The rest have been taking them down one by one, or just not lighting up anymore. Not us. We're lit till Epiphany, boys! Technically that's today, but it's not celebrated until Mass on Sunday. Then we return to Ordinary Time. (I always hear the voice of Lili from Blazing Saddles: "Oh . . . how ordinawy.") 

If we're the last house with lights on through Sunday night, so be it. I'll clear the outdoor stuff Monday. There's no blizzard on the way. 

Work is starting to rev up again -- a little slow off the starting blocks this week with the freelance assignments, but we're getting there. Meanwhile there's always the sense that No One Likes Me Anymore and I'm Going to Have to Live in a Box. Not that I worry about things.

Fighting snow, fighting through a pile of editorial work, keeping body and soul together and house intact through the winter -- maybe it does give a man a sense of purpose. That's one way to fight the January blues. I don't know what people do in the south. Enjoy themselves, maybe. I don't know how to do that.

2 comments:

Robert said...

The rooster is facing the wind. Doesn't want his tail feathers to get messed up. Stuff gets taken down today because it's the Twelfth day.

rbj13.

peacelovewoodstock said...

I find that regular, vigorous exercise helps to keep the black dog in his kennel.

10 or 15 minutes of aerobics to warm up, and a half hour of lifting weights, pushups, situps, etc. Repeat daily. Start slowly, it gets much easier really quickly.

Having said that, I'm still not back in a regular workout routine after catching the WuFlu almost 90 days ago. I suspect that when Elon releases the "Faucci Files" (maybe today?) it will help to crystalize my anger into action and by action I mean lifting weights.

Some good earbuds and a selection of AC/DC helps a lot as well.