Friday, November 25, 2022

Needing a little Christmas.

On Thanksgiving I took Izzy for a long walk around the neighborhood early in the morning. I was clearing off some room for calories, and I wanted to make sure he had enough exercise so he'd not be jumpy later. We didn't see a soul -- which can be good; at least no one threatened to sic the cops on us. But I was surprised to see that a lot of people had already started decorating for Christmas. And not just the Italians! (Sorry, people of Italian extraction, but you're always first up with the lights and you know it.)

I mean, sure, the stores have been full of lights.

Uh... not this kind. Think we'd be seeing these in Lowe's
if New York hadn't caved to the cannabis lobby? (I call it Soma Lite.) 


But why were Christmas lights coming out this early? 




It surprises me because it's been pretty chilly lately. If November had been warm, I could understand people getting the outdoor décor up early to avoid doing it in frigid temps, but that's not been the case. I think it may be warmer next week than it has been. So what's the secret?

Maybe we just need a little Christmas. 


The Swan is back!


"We Need a Little Christmas" -- undoubtedly the most famous song from the 1966 Jerry Herman musical Mame, based on the 1958 film and before that the 1954 novel Auntie Mame -- is often heard as a Christmas song, and I guess it has to be. But the point of the song is that it is too early to actually have Christmas Day (complete with gift-giving), because it's just a week past Thanksgiving. And yet we must, because everything is wrong and we're in the dumps. The wealthy Mame Dennis has lost her fortune in the Wall Street Crash of '29 and has to go to work -- something she's not accustomed to, to say the least -- and gets sacked promptly. She goes home to her nephew, who will be taken from her if she can't support him, and her loyal household staff, whom she can't pay, and she herself is staring penury in the face. So they decide that whether it's too early or not, they're going to celebrate Christmas, because what better way to find joy in the depth of darkness? Mame was a YOLO / Live in the Day type before it was popular.

It's a great moment in the show. But behind it is the genuine threat of loss, pennilessness, and separation. (Everything turns out fine -- spoiler alert! -- because a wealthy customer from the store she got fired from shows up and marries her almost immediately after the number. Because it's a Broadway comedy, not Tolstoy.)

Anyway, my point is, maybe the people in my area feel the need to get that garland up. Our taxes and living expenses have skyrocketed; our salaries, not so much. Our part of New York mostly voted to change the political and economic direction in the state, but the places where they have tons of money or live off the government think things are just dandy and they outvoted us. The news talks about idiocy and corruption at all levels of society, about violence and killers running free, about social breakdown, even about war. 

So, maybe we need a little Christmas. 

Sounds good to me. I plan on getting some decorations up during the week, if I have time. I may even get the tree started today, which I never do before December. Christmas is all about light in the darkness, and I'm sick of darkness. 

Well begun is half done.

3 comments:

-bgbear said...

I’ll do some outdoor lights, at least get them all out to make sure they all work. Inside I prepped the area the tree goes. Will hang up window garland with new light set I want to try. Ho ho ho

FredKey said...

Go for it, my man! Prove that bears are civilized.

Dan said...

After I retired from the Army I got a job as a computer/network support guy. Part of the job was running 10baseT all over three buildings in Savannah and some across the river from Savannah.
Of all the (indoor) grunt work I've done, pulling cable had to be up near the top of my I HATE THIS list.
Well, Christmas was a'comin and I was already fat. Time to decorate the outside of the house.
The kids got down the boxes of lights from the attic, we carefully laid them out in front of the porch. The cables then became animated and intertwined themselves and produced knots which would make a schooner first mate proud.
At which point I looked at the kids and confessed I just couldn't mess with cables any more and from that moment on the task of putting up the outside lights fell to them.

I must admit they did a nice job and continued doing so until they flew the nest.

Mrs Fert and I have great kids. And for them, and each other, we are quite thankful.