Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Post-Halloween post.

Yesterday was exhausting, but more for work reasons than Halloween reasons. That said, I do have a short list of post-mortem thoughts on everyone's favorite holiday of mortem. 

Née $100,000 Bar

1) I was good. Well, pretty good. The only official piece of holiday candy was from the 100 Grand fun-size bar. It's still a great candy bar, the chewy caramel nicely offset by the crispy rice. I knew it was originally marketed as the $100,000 Bar, but I didn't know how far the name went back or where it came from. MeTV, where nostalgia is important, tells us that the bar was introduced in 1966. I always figured the name was part of some campaign where Nestlé spent 100 Large to develop the perfect candy bar, but I was wrong. MeTV says,  "After the success of quiz shows in the 1950s, Nestlé came up with the idea to create a candy bar based on those programs. In particular, the company was inspired by The Big Surprise, in which the grand prize was $100,000."

2) We got left with a bunch of candy. Last year in the Post-Chinese Death Virus mania we had so many trick-or-treaters that I had to run out to get more candy, just to find that the store was already stocked with only Christmas candy. I'm sure the kids didn't mind getting candy in Christmas colored wrappers, as long as they didn't think I'd been holding it since 2020. 

This year I overbought. I guess we had between 25 and 30 kiddos, and we were prepared for more than twice that number. It is impossible to estimate properly, at least in this neighborhood.

3) Izzy was pretty good about the doorbell ringing. Last year he was not the only dog in the house, and as long as Tralfaz was not freaked out he was okay to be cool as well. I worried that this year he would be nuts with the kids coming along, but not so much. However, as with Tralfaz and Nipper before him, Izzy went berserk on the lawn, trying to sniff the trails of every kid who had been walking around. 

4) But the real problem here is that Izzy has been sick. He picked up an eye infection, probably at the groomer (that was the vet's figuring). It started in one eye a week ago; we went to the vet and got antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory, and eye drops. It got worse and spread to the other eye by Saturday, so I had to drive him to an animal hospital because although our vet has Saturday hours, they were booked solid. Which ruined all my plans for Saturday, by eating a couple of hours out of the middle of the day. 

But I'm glad I did, because that vet gave him eye ointment. She said eye drops just run out of the eye anyway. Izzy doesn't like the ointment, but he'll tolerate it. He's a good little patient. Very little trouble over pills. He seems to be getting better, but the eyes still look infected. SpoooOOOooky, even.

So those are some thoughts, and if you don't like them, I have others, How was your Halloween? 

2 comments:

🐻 bgbear said...

No kids in this neighborhood. Had roast beef for dinner. Watched "Ghost and Mr. Chicken". while wife watched some frowny Scandahoovian detective show.

FredKey said...

The world's scariest movie, per OGH!