Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Chipmunk off the stone block.

My neighbor has a retaining wall made of large stones, and mine is the mirror image of his. These were put in place because our houses were built on a slope. 

The one thing he had that I did not were chipmunks living in the wall. UNTIL NOW.

I saw one of the little critters going in and out of the holes. And, as with the yellowjackets that have nested in the wall in the past, you know that when you see one, there are others. 

So I made inquires. 





They say chipmunks don't cause structural damage, so I shouldn't treat them as a problem. I suppose they're okay -- but I have my concerns. I used to be a single man, you know, and found that cuteness did not usually equate with harmlessness. 

Well, if Christmas comes and I hear any singing about hooooola hooops, I'm calling animal control. 


3 comments:

bgbear_rnh🐀+🦜=🦇 said...

We had chipmunks when we first moved in however our cat Princess must have wiped out the entire population during her short time with us.

Funny, the old Siamese that came with the house was a great hunter but must have ignored the chipmunks as mostly harmless. His specialty was gophers.

Mongo919 said...

Chipmunks are certainly cute, but if you have them and bulb perennials like tulips or daffodils, you can kiss the perennials goodbye.

It'll be like the old WB cartoon where the carrots disappear into the tunnels below, one after the other with little popping sounds, while you stand there and say "What the...?"

🐻 bgbear said...

I have seen gophers pulling down plants from below just like Mac and Tosh.