Sunday, January 9, 2022

Final thoughts.

As I noted a few days ago, January 9 this year is the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, and thus the official end of the Christmas season. 

Pretty much everyone has seen it go already. I bid farewell to all the decorations. My outdoor stuff was packed away on Thursday because we expected our first real snow of the season that night and I'd rather put it away while it is not covered in flakes. 

I'm saddest to see the old-fashioned things go, especially ones like this terrific display I spotted in Pennsylvania. It has woodwork, hand-painting, lights, and a real hat on Santa. I suspect it has been a beloved part of the family for many years. I hope it will be for many more years to come.   


Speaking of that first snowfall, it was Izzy's first ever, and he encountered it at four in the morning on Friday when he and Tralfaz conspired to make me take out the doggies at that early hour. Izzy went into a total Golden Retriever frenzy, rolling and thrashing on his back (the Loony Dance) with his paws in the air much as if he did not care, and otherwise going batpoop crazy with glee. So now I have two nuts who love the winter weather dragging me out for spurious reasons all day long.

Speaking of batpoop, look what Santa gave me in my stocking this year!


Yes, Pez makes a line of emoji dispensers, including the Poop Emoji, and this was provided for me by my loving wife in the guise of Jolly Old St. Nick. I thought it was pretty funny, but I had to act revolted, because really, who wouldn't? Since then I have made it a point to prop up M. Merde du Pez to look at her while she's having lunch, or to keep watch over the tank when someone enters the can. Keep your Elf on the Shelf; I've got a snoopin' poop.

And that's all I have to report for this Christmas. Join me in September when I start complaining about the Christmas stuff on the store shelves too soon. 

No comments: