Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Gratitude garland.

I've kvetched in the past that Thanksgiving, for a very important American holiday, has little in terms of decoration. This year I've seen some lawn inflatables around, generally the classic turkey in a pilgrim hat type of thing, but I've seen far more houses where people have already put up all the Christmas stuff -- inflatable Santa, garland, candy canes, wreaths, twinkle lights, floodlights, the works. 

We had some nice days last weekend, the kind that might encourage people to get the outside decked so as not to have to do it in the freezing rain, but when people have done that in the past, they usually leave the lights off until Thanksgiving or so. Not now. I think it's all part of the Let's Shove 2020 Out the Door as Fast as Possible movement that I noted in September. 

Sadly, I no longer think that getting to 2021 will help. I think there will be more lockdowns, more panic, more nanny state, more spying on your neighbors, more useless regulations, and now with the full force of the federal government and its Silicon Valley enablers involved.  

Regardless, we soldier on, knowing that we all have things for which to be grateful, individually and as a nation. And I was pleased as punch to drive by this house:


The owners have lit up the joint with orange lights, but with the accompanying wreath and garland they look more Thanksgivingy than Halloweeny. And indeed, the pumpkin decoration in front of the staircase says "Happy Thanksgiving." That's what I'm talking about! As I've said before, the problem with decorating for Thanksgiving is that the predominant color of the day is brown (a serious hue), but here is a family that did it up right. 

We need more Thanksgiving decoration, which will help us celebrate the holiday properly rather than steamroll over it on the way to Walmart for Christmas shopping. I suppose it might make us a target for the Small Thanksgiving Police, but that's a chance we'll have to take.

As for me, I've got a little sign on the door and some patriotic motifs, because that was all I could think to do. I hope to do better next year, and I hope I and all of you will have more for which to have gratitude next year too.

No comments: