Thursday, September 10, 2020

The roof! The roof! The roof state is dire!

In theory, guys are coming tomorrow to work on the roof. 

There's a lot of ifs about this theory. It makes Descartes's defense of rationalism vs. empiricism look like third-grade homework. 

A guy once told me that we have a twenty-year roof. Guess how old the house is?

So I didn't hire that guy, who would have insisted on ripping out the whole works. Besides, there are a bunch of houses around us that are a year or so older, and I've only seen one of them get any serious roof work, and that one was surrounded by massive dead trees. 

Not one other house has needed a new roof. I doubt their original owners said, "Well, I'll pony up for the thirty-year roof. You never know."


Theoretically, the roof and gutters should be in lovely shape forty-eight hours from posting time. But there are those ifs:

IF the weather holds out. It's going to rain today, all day, off and on but mostly on. Tomorrow it will clear, but who knows? By then the roof may be too soggy to hold a nail. 

IF they can get the materials. No one has called me, but the materials shortage has been so bad and so weird that I just don't know. Thanks to the Chinese Death Virus, there has been a severe disruption in the supply chain. In fact, we were supposed to have the shutters replaced as part of the same job, but no one knows when they will be available.

IF they aren't missing workers due to the CDV or other illnesses or injuries -- say, falling off a roof.

IF the guys don't get drunk early in remembrance of September 11. That sounds unlikely, but I live just north of the city, and a lot of these men used to be card-carrying builders down there. 

IF they aren't delayed by another job that ran late, the contractor's great bane and/or excuse. 

If, if, if. Meanwhile I will spend today trying to push through a job of my own due on Monday, because I don't know how long the guys will need to do the job tomorrow and I don't know if I will be able to work with hammers above and dogs freaking out below. 

Wish me luck, and safety for the crew!

1 comment:

Ruffin said...

We had new roof (metal!) and gutters put on in June, along with a spankin' new deck on the front. We need new shutters too, so in June we went to Menards, found what we liked but you have to order them online. So I did and they were to arrive July 27. end of July I looked at the order, and now the delivery was Sept 1. Come end of August I checked and now the new delivery date is December 31. I cancelled them. Our experience with the construction company was very good. I hope yours is too! Good luck!