Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Thank you, 2020, may I have another?

Beautiful evening Monday, out in the back with small disobedient beast Nipper, thinking that maybe things will start to get a little more norm--

WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS THIS NOW?


At first I thought it was a beetle, but closer examination showed wasp-like wings. But I've never seen an orange-striped wasp. So? To the Internet!

Deedle deedle deedle deedle deedle deedle deee!

So far I have found:

Stizoides renicinctus, but that lives on Antelope Island in Utah and doesn't look like this.

Abispa ephippium, but that lives in Australia and doesn't look like this.

Vespa mandarinia japonica, but that lives in Japan and is tremendous.

Vespa crabro, but that doesn't look like this.

Maybe it's not a wasp? Well, it's not a boxelder, spittlebug, Mydas fly, milkweed bug, fire bug, or any other damn bug I can determine. The only thing I can guess is, the way this year is going, it would probably sting the hell out of me and I would be allergic to it and die. 

So I throw it to you, o entomologists of the Internet -- can any of you identify this suspect from my blurry photo? 

7 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Common wasp moth?http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_tigermoths/images/DSCN9419.JPG

Fiendish Man said...

"Steroidus rectumitis"? It bites you on the bottom, causes swelling, and damages bodily organs. That's why it lives on "Can't Elope Island" -- because after it gets you, you'll never be able to "love" again.

FredKey said...

i dunno, Woodstock -- the wings don't seem to match up.

The Steroidus rectumitis, FM, looks nasty enough to make you pop like a balloon if it gets you, so lovemaking may be the least of your problems! It could be as gentle as a kitten but would make me run away like a dope anyhow, whereupon I trip and break something.

Robert said...

I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens. Welcome to 2020.

rbj

FredKey said...

I'll buy the aliens. Sure, why not.

Stiiv said...

Creamsicle wasp?

FredKey said...

Worst Good Humor pop ever