Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How you like me vow?

In keeping with the ecumenical theme from yesterday, I saw that the Archdiocese of New York has been seeking the longest-married Catholic couple within the archdiocese, who will be honored this Sunday, the 8th, on World Marriage Day.

(The lovely Mrs. Key was prepared to throw our names into the miter, as it were, until I reminded her that the honor is for people whose marriage has actually been the longest chronologically, not just felt the longest.)

Well, I think it's great, and I trust many blessings will be given the couple they celebrate and the runners-up as well. Marriage is not something to be taken lightly.


I do take marriage seriously, although I try not to take myself so. That's probably one of the reasons Mrs. K and I have been together as long as we have.

If I had to give advice to a couple starting out, I would say you have to be better than the culture. These days we love romance and love, but once that knot is tied, we disparage and insult it. We prefer novelty to anything enduring. We're basically a culture of toddlers. If you want to stay married---and there's no reason to get married at all if you don't---you have to be better than that.

No comments: