Sunday, November 5, 2017

What is Fred eating now?

You're wondering what Ol' Fred's been eating, haven't you? Glad you asked!


What's this? Another apple cereal? Yes, but unlike Apple Cinnamon Toast Crunch (reviewed here a few weeks ago), Special K's Apple Cinnamon Crunch is a limited edition. So buy a box and keep it in a safe place for a decade, then sell it on eBay for millions! No, never mind, just eat it -- it came out last year and the year before, too. I found this one to be very appley, nice Special K crunch, but like most of the many Special K varieties, quite sugary. In fact, as time goes by, "healthy" cereal lines just seem to get more full of sugar. As you know if you read this blog (and if not, you're not here reading this -- spooky!), being full of sugar is not a barrier of entry to me, although I am trying to cut down. Let's check in with Mr. Breakfast, that paragon of... eating breakfast... for his review.

Well, he hasn't reviewed it yet, but 15 of 20 commenters have given it the coveted 5-egg rating, so there's that.



Kit Kat Dark was rather surprising, although I don't know why anything surprises me anymore. I enjoy Kit Kats, and have come to appreciate the merits of dark chocolate, so I looked forward to trying this. I thought it was pretty good, but Kit Kats are pretty mellow -- a subtle taste to the wafer within -- and dark chocolate has a tendency to overwhelm where milk chocolate complements. I found this to be the case here. Other dark chocolate variations like Milky Way Midnight, in my opinion, are more successful because the dark chocolate holds its own against the supersweet nougat and the caramel. 

Speaking of overwhelming ingredients:


Yoplait yogurt cups are always easy to grab for breakfast or a snack. And the flavors are pretty much what they say they are. I hate to bring them up just to complain, but this Strawberry Mango flavored one was all strawberry. Could not taste the mango at all. I appreciate that Yoplait is always trying new flavors, but they have to amp up the mango on this one.

Yoplait has never, to my knowledge, gone here:


Liberté is a delicious whole-milk yogurt that comes in some standard flavors, but lavender is the only floral flavor they make. Never seen that from any other yogurt. I've had a number of floral things, like rose ice cream (mmm), and I figured this could be interesting. It is, and delicious. You might be afraid it would be like eating yogurt made from your grandma's guest soaps, but that's not the case. The flavor is mild and goes beautifully with the milky yogurt.

Plus, the foil lid comes with important facts:


Apparently this is true, that kissing on platforms was delaying trains. Or maybe the French just passed the law to keep their reputation for kissing alive.

On the topic of French stuff, have you tried these?


This is an expensive jar of gherkins (cornichons, to you French speakers, and la plume de ma tante to you!). I would not have bought it if I had not had a huge coupon. They were very good, I must say, once I got over the lack of sweetness found in typical American gherkins. Maille's Original gherkins are spicy and savory, "Perfect with Gruyère cheese and fennel salami" they say, and they would know. Another neat feature is that there is a little basket and handle inside the jar, so you can pull up all the pickles -- no fishing around with a fork. Well, okay, some of them got loose, but very little fishing around.

Let's finish with dessert:


What caught my eye about Tate's is that they make a big deal out of coming from Southampton, New York. Oh ho, says I, a rich people's cookie shop decided to market to the plebes, eh? Yeah, pretty much. Hey, if you're looking for food-based presents, like sending a pecan pie or a basket of goodies to Aunt Pauline for Thanksgiving, you can order them through their Web site. But how are the Tiny Tate's tiny cookies?


Tiny. Also, tasty. Hard little chocolate chip cookie. I have nothing against the hard ones, but I've had better. You'd expect something from the Hamptons to bowl you over, but I remained unbowled. Maybe after eating all this stuff I'm too heavy to bowl over. In any event, I'm sure that rich people or not, lots and lots of Entenmann's is consumed out in the Hamptons. In fact, I see that Entenmann's cheap soft chocolate chip cookies, which everybody loves, are sold in four stores in Southampton (CVS, Rite Aid, Stop & Shop, and 7-Eleven). Maybe the Hamptons aren't such a classy joint after all.

I'm pretty full after all that! Tune in tomorrow when you may see my recommendations for bicarbonate of soda!

No comments: