Friday, November 24, 2017

Black Sunday fell two days too soon?

Well, here it is, the day after Thanksgiving, and I hope you have not been trampled to death. If so, please inform me immediately, and I shall send my condolences to your next of kin.

The stores seem to invite this. What is a "doorbuster" if not an invitation to break in and grab everything? Like advertising for barbarians. This is the mall, not the Bastille. These stores are asking for trouble.

A few years ago on the old blog I christened the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as Puce Wednesday. I think my idea was that it would darken to a nice festive brown on Thursday and go all black for Friday. My original 2013 piece went down with the Blog.com Website, but I retained pictorial proof of the research I did on the rainy Wednesday before Thanksgiving at the Macy's mother ship in Herald Square:





Checkin' out the merch
After Friday we transfer out of the colors and straight into no-euphemism mercantilism. Saturday is Small Business Saturday, when we repent of buying stuff at Walmart and Target and buy from the local knuckleheads instead of national chain stores run by local knuckleheads. Monday of course is Cyber Monday, the day we shop at the office while we're supposed to be working. 

I guess we get Sunday off from shopping, maybe to digest leftovers. If you're so inclined, the first Sunday after Thanksgiving is often the First Sunday in Advent, but not in 2017; this year December has five Sundays, and Advent doesn't start until December 3.

So I guess that's our list of assignments for the weekend. Please be safe out there and don't put life and/or limb on the line for the sake of some bargain. Your people need you more than they need more stuff, no matter what your teenager may say.

(P.S.: Classic title reference -- hi, Stiiv!)

No comments: