Friday, February 12, 2021

Two kinds.

I've often agreed with the statement that there are morning people and night people, and I've added that they tend to marry each other. Certainly that's the case at the House of the Keys. I'm the lark, she's the owl. And I've gone on to say that this is probably the only case where evolutionary psychology could make a point, that it's useful for larks and owls to marry because it means someone is always watching out for the saber-toothed tiger attack.

Another way to divide people -- which is what the Internet is all about -- is into food reactions to crises. Some people can't eat anything at all when there's a terrible crisis looming in the family. Others can't get enough calories. Both are reasonable reactions to a dangerous situation. Don't eat, move! Or: Eat fast for energy! And again, I think these kinds of people marry each other. Not sure if larks tend to be the eaters, but that fits us. Up early! Breakfast! Most important meal! When someone dies or is very sick or something, my wife can go for days on coffee and a single granola bar.

Of course, there may be other types, like people who ignore disasters, but they don't work into my analysis. 

"This is fine."

When the looming disaster strikes, though, I lose my appetite and she slowly starts to regain hers. 

I'll be working these observations into my biblical analysis, "Running on a Flat Bread: Fleeing Egypt on an Empty Stomach," to be run in the Journal of Unhelpful Historical Studies. 

All this is leading up to an announcement: I must take a short break from the blog, just over the weekend, to deal with a serious issue that has popped up. You can tell it's serious because I'm eating like a pig and my wife has had one granola bar. 

I'll fill you in on the details then, but we're just praying for the best possible outcome at this point. Wish us luck, as we wish for you always. See you Monday.

7 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Hark! Hark! Best wishes to the Lark (and the Owl, of course).

Hope everything works out for you both, Fred. You're in our thoughts.

raf said...

Here's hoping for the best.

I'd be more specific, but, you know....

bgbear said...

luck luck luck

peacelovewoodstock said...

I had a college professor once who explained, "there are two kinds of people in the world - those who put everyone into two categories, and those who don't".

Here's hoping that you wind up in the "all is well" category.

Robert said...

Best of luck. Thoughts and prayers.

rbj

Stiiv said...

Hope it all turns out OK, Fred.

Dan said...

We'll be with you.