Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas +1.

Whew.


So, Chinese Death Virus Christmas was okay. Santa was very good to me. I got some AirPods for the iPhone, a Batman T-shirt (not that I'm in danger of being confused with Batman), a FitBit, and some Black Rifle coffee, among other awesome things. 

All the same, it was weird. Mass was attended online. And it was sort of an anti-white Christmas, by which I don't mean there was a BLM rally outside the house. The temperature got up to almost 60, and the rain was heavy enough to cause flood warnings, so all the snow we had last week is completely gone. Even the mound at the end of the driveway, which had been more than three feet high, vanished within 24 hours. The ground got all muddy and squishy. 

It was also one of the most windy days I can recall here, and we've had a couple of hurricanes come by since we moved to suburbia. The roof I spent a fortune on this summer shed shingles like my dogs shed hair, leading me to spend Christmas morning cursing like a truck driver as I picked them up off the lawn. Up the street, a guy who put up a big PVC privacy fence at the corner saw it blown to bits, which was 100% predictable given our weather history; a cheap and lightweight fence with no windbreak and no means to allow airflow was going to get it. It just happened sooner than I expected. Meanwhile, so many reindeer cutouts on various lawns got flattened and jumbled that it looked like Santa's air traffic control had suffered a catastrophic screwup. 

In other news, while using the mandoline on some vegetables for Christmas dinner I managed to slice off a tiny bit of my right index finger, just about the time I was thinking how careful I was being. The Bible wins again. Bled like crazy and hurt like heck. So now I have to type without my right index finger, and have discovered that it pretty much does all the heavy lifting when I type. This entry is taking twice as long to write as it normally would. 

All the same, it was a lovely day, and a fitting end to the strange Advent of a strange year. Today it's two turtle doves and off toward the new year we go!

5 comments:

Robert said...

It got to freezing here on the VA peninsula. Suffolk even had a tornado. At least the hounds are not chomping at the bit to go to the park.

rbj

FredKey said...

Geez, you'd think the least you could expect from winter is no tornadoes.

bgbear said...

Boxing day and the boxes won.

Ruffin said...

I've been looking at mandolines, I think I would like to have one. I've already decided I am going to get some of those protective gloves. I have them in my Amazon wish list. If I purchase a mandoline I will have no finger tips left at all if I don't. Get yourself some of those Fred! Don't wait for Santa, he won't be around again for nearly a year.

FredKey said...

Good idea, Ruffin! And maybe I should follow Bear's notion and get some anti-box equipment as well.