Friday, August 14, 2020

Washington atilt.

My wife had a crazy dream. Unlike her husband (moi) she does not often have vivid dreams, or remember her dreams. But this time she recalled it and told me about it when she woke up.

Apparently a large portrait of George Washington was supposed to be installed atop one of Manhattan's skyscrapers, presumably in the neighborhood where she used to report for duty in person sometimes before the Chinese Death Virus came to play. When it was put in place, she noticed that the painting was somewhat askew.

It seems that the artist of the painting had created it with that intent, and insisted for the sake of his stupid artistic vision that it be installed just so.


Well, it didn't take the biblical Joseph to interpret this one, I thought. I said that the news about elections and riots and all have made an impression on her, an impression that some people have a very skewed vision for the United States, that they may even co-opt symbols of this great nation but they prefer their own weird idea of the country to that of the founders, and those who love the country as is.

"That painting would have made me crazy," she said.

"There are too many people in the city with OCD in New York," I said. "They'd charge the building with torches and pitchforks."

Although the dream irritated my wife, she is neither obsessive nor compulsive -- except about dental hygiene. "I'll be brushing my teeth five minutes before my funeral," she said recently, and I believe it. Still, as far as things to be crazy about go, brushing after eating is far from problematic.

It was interesting that she was dreaming about this stuff. She's not one to pay a keen eye to the news, and was surprised to hear from me how bad the pillaging of our cities has gotten and how the state and local authorities have allowed it. I suspect many people who think they are well-informed have no idea at all. Perhaps if they find out, they'll dream about an upside-down George Washington. Or maybe one getting lynched. That seems to be in the cards these days.

1 comment:

Dan said...

She knows Washington is crooked.