Saturday, April 25, 2020

Who was that masked man?

A couple of observations from wearing a mask in public for the last couple of weeks:

1. I'm not sure I like the way my breath smells, and I've been breathing a lot of it. Maybe it's the fact that I've been digging into my supply of dust masks, which have their own slightly weird scent. And all the coffee.

2. I guess the dust masks are okay for the purpose and to comply with the order from Governor Corleone. They'll do to contain the droplets if I cough or sneeze or breathe at someone. A dust mask may not be the best but it's all I got.

3. I was in Home Depot yesterday and they were cleaned out of all types of masks. They did, however, have toilet paper, some kind of industrial brand sold by the roll. I was glad I didn't need it. It looked like the kind that would sand your butt flat. Maybe it's repurposed fine-grit sandpaper.

4. Everyone looks like a bandit, or like a dust storm is a-blowin' through town. Get the cows in, Pa! Dust storm a-blowin'!

5. These frigging things get hot. A friend of mine, a retired New York City fireman, says that the dust masks were so annoying that the guys working the World Trade Center site in 2001 would just throw them away. I asked if that's why so many of them have succumbed to lung diseases and mesothelioma. He didn't think it would have made that much difference in such a contaminated environment, but figured that we'd never know.

6. Spider-Man must be hot all the time with that full-head mask. Batman would be cooler (in every way) but non-compliant with Governor Corleone.

7. I too am non-compliant, in that while I am willing to wear the mask in stores, where it's not possible to stay six feet away from people at all times, I am not going to wear one while walking the dogs. This is the freaking suburbs, not the Avenue of the Americas, and I can easily stay away from other people.

8. They may try to enforce a mask rule, but they can't make me not wear my Bat Pants when I'm attending an online meeting!

9. Just kidding. I have some pride. I wear sweatpants.

1 comment:

bgbear said...

I thought most "dust masks" were N95, all the ones I ever bought were. Maybe CA only sells the N95 type at normal times.

What is is hot is the full mask respirator. I used one for removing and adding insulation for the attic. Saves your lungs, but you really look forward to taking it off.

Yes we wear the masks at store and such, but wife does not wear it when she is walking.