Friday, November 8, 2019

Crushalogs II: Eclectic Bugaloo.

One of the most popular posts I've ever made on this blog, going by traffic numbers, was the one from November 4, 2016, detailing the crush of catalogs that were all timed to arrive right after Halloween, testing the strength of the mailman and the holding power of my mailbox.

Well, it happened again on Monday -- thirteen catalogs in one day.


Catalanche!!!!

Seriously, if my life was a cartoon I'd have opened the mailbox on Monday and been flung across the street by the Christmas catalogs bursting to get out.

Most of them went out with the recycling a couple of days later. Actually, I think we only held on to the Shutterfly book, and that's just a reminder that if we want to make our own cards again this year we had better get to it.

We wondered why, in the Internet age, companies are still willing to spend a fortune mailing these things. After all, the rising cost of paper and postage over the years is one of the reasons so many magazines have gone belly-up, but the catalogs march on. Don't people who shop at home usually do so by the Internet? What gives?

Well, the US Postal Service -- not a disinterested party by any means -- had lots of pro-catalog data in this article, from which I quote only a few things:

📮 72% of people surveyed said that catalogs make them more interested in that retailer’s products, and 84% have purchased an item after seeing it in a catalog.

📮 Studies show that catalogs even help ease the anxiety around receiving bills.

📮 Easy to consume, catalogs provide the opportunity for consumers to slow down and enjoy the experience of being transported through images and stories—all over a cup of coffee.

📮 Even though they are a tech generation, millennials are embracing mail. 

I guess these people know what they're doing. It certainly doesn't bother me to get them, it just astounds me when they arrive all at the same time. When you get thirteen at once you're not being transported over a cup of coffee, you're being transported over a seven-course meal. But I have had relatives for whom I had no idea what to get as a present, and the timely arrival of a catalog for an outfit I had not been aware of saved the day. Of course, then I get that same catalog again until they put me in a box.

If, however, you get a lot of these kind of mailings and wish you didn't, there are some tips to help cut down on the crap. The USPS might be unhappy if you do, but I'll bet your mail carrier would be pleased.

The main tip is to use Catalog Choice, which they say will automatically stop any catalog you get that you would like to not get anymore, and do it for free. How is it possible?

Aliens.

No, Catalog Choice is a nonprofit outfit that's trying to cut down on the waste of paper and other resources used in junk mail. I guess that's a good enough reason.

I suppose if I get tired enough of the catalogs I will do something like that, but I admit that I kind of like the box full of festivity that shows up when I get the mail. And maybe it does help "ease the anxiety around receiving bills," even if shopping is a major cause of bill anxiety. Around the middle of December when the catalogs stop appearing, I feel a little sad, like Christmas is already coming to an end.

5 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Imagine you live in California, and PG&E is going to cut your electricity for ten days to try to keep fires from starting along their uncleared power line rights-of-way ... you have no Internet or Cable. Those printed catalogs would be a life saver! Late nights by a flickering candle, dreaming of all the cool stuff you can order once you can get back on Amazon. It would be like pioneer days!

Oh, oh the Wells Fargo wagon is a-coming, coming !

Tanthalas39 said...

"I guess these people know what they're doing", says the man about the USPS.

Narrator: They do not, in fact, know what they're doing.

Mongo919 said...

I used to get (believe it or not) a catalog of catalogs from which you would request copies of catalogs of interest. Probably put out by the department of redundancy department.

FredKey said...

Har! Hey, PLW, if we had California-style electricity here, my furnace wouldn't start. We'd be burning the catalogs to stay alive!

Too bad we don't have a fireplace...

Ruffin said...

I used to order a lot from catalogs and yes our mailbox was frequently full. Only catalog coming now is the Plow and Hearth, and that's because I adore some of their little hanging solar critters and have ordered over the last couple years. I no longer get the dog supply catalogs (and I need a couple of things since I haven't been to a dog show in over 2 years) and no LL Bean where I get my winter coats. Before the internet I did lots of catalog Christmas shopping as it is like window shopping and you get ideas for gifts. How the hell do you browse something like etsy, ebay or amazon??