Monday, November 26, 2018

Are we decorated yet?

Normally I would never start decorating for Christmas until Advent starts. I make fun at my neighbor who puts 'em up on Black Friday and takes 'em down January 2.

But I did start -- at least, I mostly got the tree up. Mostly.


We are toying with the idea of doing a Christmas card featuring a picture of the you-know-whats.* But to get a shot of them in front of the tree in time to make the cards, the tree has to be up. So, here we are.

I noticed a lot of families had their Christmas lights out already. A month in advance of the day -- unheard of! But there's a good reason. Our recent cold snap faded after Friday, and those college kids had to ship back to campus Sunday. Got to get work out of them!

Seriously, I know a fellow on the street whose son comes over once in a while, and when he does, they're always clearing the yard or cleaning out the garage. This kid is lucky the family is Jewish, or he would have been dangling from the gutter on Saturday with a string of lights in his teeth.

Advent doesn't start until next weekend, which makes it seem late; most of the time it and Thanksgiving are closer together, and the Sunday after turkeyfest is the First Sunday of Advent. Everything's all higgledy-piggledy this year.

But things are humming along nonetheless. Although I had no child flunky to boss around, I had Junior Dog Nipper, who kept on me as I got things out of the cellar and moved them here and there. You ever get that feeling you're being followed? That strange, hairy creatures are breathing down your knees? That's my dog. Then he would get alarmed because I pulled a tree out of a box or something and he'd run to my wife for comfort. He's very, very brave, until he isn't.

So that's the report from here; I have a big deadline a week from today, so I have to get busy making money to pay for all the presents I've already bought online. Ho ho ho! Come Dasher, come Dancer, come Prancer and Lotto!

-----------

*Dogs. Made ya look.

No comments: