Sunday, January 28, 2024

Januargh.

The winter months are like the sadistic drill instructors of popular culture. You’re happy if he’s just screaming and threatening and insulting, not actually beating the ever-lovin’ stuffing out of you.


Poor Izzy always gets up when I do, which is a rough deal for a dog owned by an insomniac. His morning walk could come at any time between three and seven a.m. He’s ready for it.

But he was not ready for the pounding rain this morning. 

I will gladly take the rain over negative Canadian type temperatures or sleet or a foot of snow, but this rain proved to be a deluge too far. Izzy went off the porch, peed, and turned us right around and came back. He’d had enough. I couldn’t blame him—unlike me, he carried no umbrella, and the rain was bouncing back into his face. 

The funny thing is, and I blogged about it back then, his late relative Nipper would not have stopped. Nipper was indifferent to the elements. He was going to get his walk or playtime in first thing in the morning no matter what. Blizzard, hurricane, ice storm, tornado, volcanic eruption, did not matter. He had the spirit of an Olympic athlete. His owner, not so much. 

And I was kind of relieved that Izzy is more like me. Screw this rain, we’ll try again later. That’s my boy! 

3 comments:

Mag said...

I won't take the dogs for a walk in the rain mainly because I don't like having to deal with wet dogs when we get home. Even a drizzle ends up with them being soaked, so I just wait until it's stopped.

Robert said...

The terrori8sts will put up with rain, but the other week it was coming down in sheets. I took them out for their bedtime bathroom stop. They go onto what passes for a covered porch here, took one look and went back in.

BTW, Monday I was scraping ice off the windshield, Friday I had the AC on in the car.

Not to mention January is the most useless month. At least February is short and we have pitchers and catchers.

rbj13

🐻 bgbear said...

Our garage is separate from the house. The mutt will walk through the garage rather than use the walkway around it. He will also walk under the truck than around. Sometimes he does this when it is not raining just to avoid unnecessary steps.