Thursday, October 20, 2022

BS snacks.

I have another healthy snack food to show you, and if history is a guide I won't be belaboring this process much longer. 

Let me explain up front that both my wife and I enjoy Brussels sprouts. Others who eat in our home may disagree, but we like them as is. My wife likes perhaps a little vinegar on them of an evening, but I take my Brussels sprouts the way I take my espresso -- straight, no chaser. So that's why I bought these. 


Vegan Rob's (sheesh, such brand names) is a Long Island-based outfit that makes -- go ahead, guess! --vegan snacks. No cheese or beef in these, by cracky! Unlike Brad's, which I discussed last Saturday, there is actually a Rob at Rob's. That would be Rob Ehrlich, who founded the company nine years ago. I hope he's still there -- "Rob's Blog" on the site hasn't been updated in years, and the company's news site also seems to have become a cobweb.  

The company wants us to love ourselves, love the planet, love all living things. Yay. That's fine. But we don't really love these snacks. 

First off, my wife thought they looked like uncooked fish sticks. 


Second, she didn't notice anything really Brussels sprouty about them. Normally the Belgian beauties have a strong flavor, which is why most kids hate them or disguise them with bacon, but it's scant in these puffs, so I agreed with her assessment. I thought the snacks were okay, though, and worth finishing the bag. But not worth buying another one.

I don't know, man -- I'm starting to think the idea of a healthy chip that tastes good is bogus. These puffs have some saturated fat and sodium, so the American Heart Association would probably scowl at them. Despite that, they still taste just okay. I guess if you want to trick your kids into getting a vegetable, this might work, but the Brussels sprout content comes from powdered Brussels sprouts -- seems like you could just take a multivitamin for the same benefits at that point. 

And that brings us to the classic science fiction idea of food only available in pill form. Maybe that's where we'll wind up in the end after all. 

1 comment:

peacelovewoodstock said...

"looked like uncooked fish sticks" ... that's being kind. Reminds me of the time we switched the cat's kibble to "chicken and rice" flavor