Friday, August 2, 2019

Tooth salon.

Had to find a new dentist, which is always scary. Just when you get used to the old one, something happens and you have to switch. And I'd only been going to the old one for twenty years. I was finally getting him broken in!

So I did what every idiot does; I went on social media to ask people in my geographic area for a recommendation. Then I took those names and checked them against rating sites. And all of this is stone-cold useless.

It's not that I got bad treatment. Actually, the hygienist was fine, and I think I got a good preliminary exam and a fine cleaning. And I didn't have to wait long for anything. But there were a couple of things I objected to:

1) The salon style. Seriously, this place had a row of stalls with dental chairs. It was like I had just popped in for a shave and a toothcut. Maybe this is the picture of modern dental care, but it was new to me.

2) Every booth had a TV, and they were all playing Wallykazam! Oh, sure, it was educational. I learned all about the letters S and Z, and why you shouldn't let a Borgelorp eat purple flowers. And the zombie zucchinis? Hilarious. But it was all a little wearing after a while.

The zombie zucchinis could have used a dentist, actually.
Funny, I'm old enough to remember when kids' advocates like the Comics Code Authority prohibited the use of the term zombie. But the times, they have a-changed, I guess. You have to teach the letter Z somehow.

3) The dentist spent about three minutes with me. He had examined the X-rays while I was getting my cleaning, yes. Still, I just didn't feel like he was giving me the quality of care due for a patient, the care that makes one feel like any problems have been detected. On the other hand, he also said I didn't need any work at the moment, which made me want to give him a hug. So there's that.

4) But I also never saw the dentist that had been recommended to me by name, the one I'd mentioned when I made my appointment, since you do not select your dentist at this place; you get whoever comes up in the queue.

I guess as time goes on we'll see more and more healthcare being provided this way, a factory-like atmosphere with loud cartoons. It speeds up service, lowers costs for equipment and malpractice insurance and the processing of the endless, endless paperwork ... but is it best for patients?

This setup is also a good way to hide poor doctors, slipping them onto the Wheel of Medicine. "Around and around she goes.... Oooh, you got Dr. Smerschnock! Well, maybe's he's sober today."

My current family doctor has his own practice and is an excellent physician, but he's also as old as Methuselah, and we expect him to pack it in any day now. Then what? Find a pill mill? Four booths, minimal waiting? The doctor will see you now... don't blink or you won't see him!

8 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Been going to my dentist for 30 years. One guy, one hygienist, one receptionist. He has two exam rooms. I’ve never had to wait, and have never seen more than one other person in the lobby. No TVs, just the standard two year old issues of "People" magazine. He’s a nice guy, and I’ve had many pleasant conversations with him while my mouth is wide open and stuffed with dental paraphernalia. “So, how you doing?” “Ah cuak hahh, kaaks.” “Any travel plans?” “Eeer coh goo Geeray eh Gehebeh.”

peacelovewoodstock said...

Same as Mongo, been going to the same dentist (well, not his dentist I assume) for almost as long, he runs a 'boutique' practice.

Originally found him in a "caters to cowards" directory as my prior dentist had apparently trained at the shoulder of Dr. Mengele.

He would let me have nitrous any time I was there for any treatment, even a cleaning. I took him up on that at first, but insurance doesn't pay for it and I realized that the $40 I was paying out of pocket due to irrational nervousness would buy a decent bottle of bourbon that would last much longer.

He's a cool guy. We talk about cars. He just sent his 10-year old BMW M5 (10 cylinder version) off to a guy in Michigan who replaced the motor with a rebuilt, stroked, twin-turbocharged version for a mere $20K. Result is a ~700HP monster that his grandmother could drive.


FredKey said...

Hold on to those dentists, boys! My old one is still practicing but I cannot make the drive to see him anymore. (Yes, I started seeing him when I still lived in the city.)

A former coworker used to leave her Manhattan apartment to go see her dentist... in Maine! Now, she could combine that with a trip to see her family up there, but would she have gone if not for her biannual checkup and cleaning?

Ultimately she moved back there, making me think she just couldn't make the trip anymore and still would not give up the dentist!

bgbear said...

Wife had same guy her whole life up to about 15 years ago and I used him for about 10 years so it was scary to get someone new. New guy is now our old guy and fear when he retires.

He just got a young guy who was probably a kid when we started there. He is knowledgeable, nice, and quite bright and looks like Russel from "UP". He is slow though. I never thought much about how long it must take to get both quality and speed in a dentist, but when your jaw is getting tired staying open you think about it a lot.

Fiendish Man said...

For over a dozen years, I went to a dentist in the neighborhood. Very convenient location, nice guy. At some point during my genealogical research, I discovered that the dentist was my fifth cousin! Naturally I wanted to tell him but didn't get a chance at the next appointment. Before I could make it to another appointment, he retired and I haven't seen him since.

peacelovewoodstock said...

@Fiendish Man .. fifth cousin? Wouldn't that be everyone in the world? Or maybe that was sixth cousin. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon and all that.

Fiendish Man said...

I'm aware of ninth cousins and still haven't gotten everyone covered. Not even close!

FredKey said...

Oooh! Maybe I could be a blood Fiendish relative!