Thursday, November 15, 2018

Snow's a-comin', maw.

We get some cold weather around here. We're just a bit north of New York City, but far enough inland to get more snow. The city tends to stay a little warmer anyway. Some say it's the ocean, holding on to heat. Others say it's just all the hot air generated in a city of eight million souls, plus politicians.

Anyway, we went from summery warmth in early October to our first snowfall one month later. It hardly seems fair. I know time goes quickly when you're busy (as I have been) and old (as I have been feeling), but this is ridiculous. I guess the unusual warmth in early October spoiled me. I keep thinking Labor Day just passed.

But no, it's time for -- to quote a famous woman -- Santa Claus and Ho Ho Ho and mistletoe and presents to pretty girls. Or at least that's how it feels now. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

"YOU'VE GOT TO PAY ATTENTION!"

A few neighbors have actually got their Christmas swag up. Literally -- one family with a solid white PVC fence seven feet tall hung green swags all along its inscrutable face. I guess the friendliness of the decoration makes up for the stony silence of a giant, solid fence. I saw one of the folks in the house step out his front door once. He looked scared.

Another family put wreaths in all the windows. I wondered if they were thinking ahead. You know, going to Ma's in Boca for Thanksgiving; this way when they fly home, the house is ready for the next season.

That is, if they can fly out in the first place.

I wouldn't mind so much if the snow showed up after the pumpkin roll got eaten. Yesterday Accuweather had us at three to seven inches of the white crap from Thursday afternoon to Friday. I've lived in and around New York City all my life and I only ever saw rain before Thanksgiving. Global warming is letting me down. I had to put away the grill and put out reflector sticks so the nice man with the plow doesn't plow my lawn again like last year.

Now the forecast has it changing to rain overnight, and lots of it. Freezing rain? Who knows? Could be! Last I looked it was five weeks to winter, but here we go again.

Can we box some of this freezing crap up and send it to California? They sure could use it and we sure aren't ready for it. Thanks.

No comments: