Sunday, July 30, 2023

Auuuughtumn.

Well, as predicted, Halloween arrived early this year, and arrives earlier every year. I remember complaining to a store chain once about Halloween candy on display in August. This is from the box store on Friday, July 28. 

Because you need a tremendous bag of SpongeBob
Halloween candy in July.

And the grocery store yesterday, July 29. 


Well, that's just candy, right? Not like the whole store has given up on summer and started in with fall. 

Ha:


We are one month and nine days from the start of summer; the end of summer does not arrive for another two solid months. But sure, break out the fall stuff. 

I know, I know, no one goes by the equinoxes and solstices. They go by Memorial Day and when does school start, by Christmas and maybe -- because spring always gets short shrift -- when can I start my tomato plants. 

Rushing the seasons in a retail setting has to be the fault of the consumer, ultimately. If we weren't willing to buy a five-pound sack of fun-size spooky-themed NestlΓ© bars* in July, they wouldn't sell it. Picture the scene at PlastiCrapCo:

πŸŒžπŸŒ…πŸ©³πŸ„

"Johnson! Get in here!"

"Yes, sir?"

"And none of that! You know what my pronouns are now!"

"Yes, xir!"

"Better. Johnson, pool noodle sales are down 15 percent since three weeks ago. The surge from the start of the season, which began during Easter, is decidedly over."

"Yes, xir, but it's not like pool and barbecue season is over. People will be having fun in the sun for more than a month yet."

"'Fun in the sun.' What would they teach you in marketing class if those words didn't rhyme? If I ever hear you say 'yummy in the tummy,' I will not be responsible for my actions."

"Sorry, xir."

"Nothing is yummy by the time it's in the tummy! There are no tastebuds in the stomach!"

"Of course not, xir."

"So don't fight with me! Now look, Johnson, we need to get that consumer excitement back! Time to ship the, er -- What's on the way? Let's check the container list from our friends in China. Ah! Halloween costumes and decorations!"

"Yes, xir! I'll get right on it."

"See that you do, Johnson."

"And xir? It's Johndaughter now."

"Oh, er, sorry about that, Johns-- daughter. Please don't report me to HR."

πŸ‘»πŸ‘ΊπŸ‘ΏπŸ’€

Of course, I have in the past failed to get enough Halloween candy and made an emergency trip to the store, and wound up giving the kids Christmas candy, because the Halloween stuff had already been dumped. 

Life moves fast enough! Stop shoving things along! 


* Or Her/She Possibly Trans Candy.

3 comments:

Stiiv said...

CVS has Halloween stuff out already too. Jerks.

Mike Yancey said...

Heh. I was at SamsClub on Tuesday and I didn't see 'em.
Now I gotta go back and report.

Mag said...

I imagine part of the issue is that for some areas, "back to school" is indeed upon us. My kids have just two weeks of summer vacation left - school starts on August 16. So for retail stores that standardize all merchandise across the country, the school supply sections sure feel early if you're in an area where school starts after Labor Day.