Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Sunset.




I remember one winter evening, before sunset, when our canine friend Tralfaz was maybe two or three years old. He and I walked up a hill toward the light gray sky, flat and uniform as a coat of paint, and before us was the snow-swept landscape, equally gray. It looked like we had come to the end of the earth, maybe the end of the universe, and there was no one I would rather be with there than my fine, fine dog.

Well, he got there before me, alone. We had to put Tralfaz down last night. 

More tomorrow. 

13 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Oh, no. I'm so sorry.

“A good dog never dies. He always stays. He walks beside you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter’s drawing near. His head is within our hand in his old way.” - M. Davies

MP said...

I'm sorry for your loss of a fine companion and friend.

Puffin

Wally Ballou said...

So sorry. I have been there.

technochitlin said...

Sorry, man. Been there. It's hard.

Mag said...

No matter how much you can prepare or how many times you do it, it's not easy. I'm sorry you're having to go through this right now.

🐻 bgbear said...

so sorry

http://vitaminfred.blogspot.com/2023/08/banjaxed.html said...

So sorry Fred. Been there, does that, still miss that gentle nudge from a cold nose and the look that says 'Pet me?'

Dan said...

Condolences.

Mongo919 said...

That's so sad, Fred. Our condolences.

NH_flier said...

Sorry to hear, Fred. I wish I had words to soften the blow. All I can think of is that the time you had together was a treasure.

Sandyprice said...

What can I say? They leave a hole in your heart that never completely fills up.

Stiiv said...

So very sorry for your loss, pal. []

http://vitaminfred.blogspot.com/2023/08/banjaxed.html said...

From Flangepart.
The Barbara said to say hey. Being with her eleventh dog, she knows better than I what you're feeling. Like she says, "it's better to love then while we have them, than never know them at all."