Thursday, June 15, 2023

The sweetstakes.

Mom brought home a carton of Neapolitan ice cream! Gentlemen: Start your scoops! Which flavor will you try to grab before your beloved friends and family can get any?


First, the backgrounder. It's not Neopolitan, which would mean it's from some new city that didn't exist before; it's Neapolitan, as from Naples, Italy. And what's a southern Italian city got to do with an ice-cold confection? Nuthin'. Well, Wikipedia says that the dessert originated in Prussia, but got associated in American with Neapolitan immigrants who were experts in frozen desserts like spumoni. When I was a kid I thought it was supposed to mimic the Italian tricolor flag, but if that were the case the flavors would be pistachio, vanilla, and strawberry in that order. 

So which flavor would be taken first? I had heard that as recently as the early 80's, America still loved vanilla more than any other ice cream flavor, chocolate and strawberry running second and third. However, Parade magazine and Newsweek both report that chocolate is now the top flavor, vanilla second. Strawberry still makes the podium with the bronze. However, I object to both polls, and not just because I am a vanilla fan. Both polls include Neapolitan as a flavor, and it is not a flavor; it is not even a combination of flavors, like Cookies & Cream or Rocky Road. It is a sandwich of distinct flavors, and ought to not have been an option.

Whichever you choose, you'll have to go on without me. I'm proud to say that since January 1, I have completely taken sugar out of my diet. Exceptions include one birthday I was obliged to celebrate, naturally occurring sugars in fruits, minuscule amounts in some breakfast cereals, one Friday dinner of pancakes in Lent, and whatever was still in the house on January 1, which was not much. No Easter candy, no Valentine's chocolate, no cookies when people bring them to meetings, no desserts, only sugar-free preserves (which are weird) and sugar-free yogurt and sugar-free peanut butter and sugar-free everything else. All those doughnut reviews and cookies samplings I've done on this site before? A thing of the past. (I will note that the few bits of sugar I had did not send me into sugar-craving frenzies; I think the whole sugar addiction idea is overblown.)

The doctor didn't make me do it. I wanted to lose weight before my back went out again; it seemed like a good idea for my achin' back to take off some poundage. And I got tired of fighting my clothes. If you've been a friend to this blog (God bless your soul!), you know I have a sweet tooth, so I figured that the pounds would melt away. And guess what? Going by the way my clothes fit, I might as well have kept eating the doughnuts and the cookies and ice cream and maybe taking maple syrup shots in my coffee, too. 

I guess I have to up my game somehow. I'd have thought that after almost six months there'd be some progress, but no. It's discouraging, and I've never been good at finding ways to get recouraged after being discouraged. 

*sigh* 

Pass the scoop. 

4 comments:

technochitlin said...

I once lost 150 pounds, and needed to, but my reward was a nifty case of Tachycardia. Since gained some of it back, but I feel little urge to dedicate myself again. Pass the vanilla!

peacelovewoodstock said...

I looked into Ozempic, the new 'miracle' weight loss drug. Not that I need to, I was just curious!! OK?

Then I got to the list of possible side effects. Then I found out the price per month (almost $900, which many insurers will not pay any of).

I'd. Rather. Be. Fat. (Though I'm not! OK, maybe a little on the husky side).

mikeSDak said...

Sugar-free is overrated for weight loss. It takes a lot of blame for the company it keeps (fat, carbohydrates). I have diabetes so I read ingredient labels, and I come across so-called diet foods which are higher in carbohydrates than the non-diet version. It really can be complicated to sort out.

Sandyprice said...

Sorry to hear (read, really) that.

Long term it won't work to "diet." You need something you can live with for the rest of your life without suffering. Some people cutely call it a "live-it."

Step by step, my and several other's successful process.
1. Cut out all sugar AND MOST CARBs. That by itself keeps my weight fairly controlled. Most people can start with that; a few people can't get by on no carbs but try to cut down and try to completely eliminate almost pure sugar. And that includes (sorry Rosemary and me too) orange juice and apple juice and most juices...read the labels.

To lose more, do intermittent fasting. Not as hard as it sounds, taken step by step:

2. Cut out one meal a day. For most people it will be breakfast; ignore the "most important meal of the day" propaganda. Though technically the first meal of the day breaks your fast.

2. Once you're eating two meals a day, move them within an 8 hour range. So you're automatically fasting 24-8=16 hours a day. For many people that's all that is needed.

3. After doing step 2 for long enough if you're comfortable move them to within 6 hours apart. This is another big step for most people as it gives your body 18 hours and that means it spends time in "autophagy," the phase of fasting where your body is cleaning up junk left around in your body.

4 Then ONLY IF YOU NEED IT you can move toward one larger meal a day, or to occasionally skipping days. Don't be in a big rush to this, or starve yourself; remember the "live-it" principle.

Hope this helps.