Monday, April 2, 2018

Ticked off?

Among the places I went during Lent...


I'd been to the doc last December for my excruciating bad back, which promptly stopped hurting using the magic of the instant "The car keeps making this noise" "What noise?" cure. I went not because I had given up not going to the doctor for Lent, but because it was time for my annual physical.

So, so far so good, but we're not out of the woods yet. As I write this I am going back to the doctor today, Monday, for the results of my blood test. He tested me for everything. I think I gave less blood on my last donation.

Of course, I shouldn't worry. I pray, right? They say if you worry, why pray? If you pray, why worry? But I worry. I've had bad results from blood tests before. They look for all sorts of things now, like high cholesterol and prostate cancer and liver damage and that ever-popular item, type 2 diabetes. Any of those terrify me.

One thing I'd specifically asked the doctor to do was test for Lyme. The ticks around here last fall were awful, and the dogs kept bringing them in, tick collars and pills regardless. I've been schlepping around outside since I got the house, much more so in the current Era of the Dog. (When I was an apartment boy and pet-free, I could huddle inside all day and not feel guilty.) So Lyme has been on my mind.

Or in it. As I wrote yesterday, I suspended the blog because I was completely burned out and discouraged, the worst depressive mood in a decade, and I know from friends who have had Lyme that it's one of its more insidious symptoms. Maybe...?

I have heard that the accuracy of Lyme tests is pretty poor, but the CDC says they're just jake beyond the early stages, barring complicating factors. So despite my nerves, I am eager to get my results. My appointment is for 10 a.m.; good thing that winter is over. My physical got delayed a week because of snow in March. Not like that's going to....


Crap.

No comments: