Thursday, October 26, 2017

Seasonal scenes.

We had a big blow of wind the other day, but all the shingles stayed put on the roof. Or I think they did. There were none on the ground. They may have sailed so far away that I have no idea they've gone.

Unfortunately it meant for some naked trees, not to mention a couple of downed trees, so if we were going to do some leaf peeking, that time has passed. Fortunately there are a few hardy arboreal souls that have held on to their leaves.




One chilly morning I was out with the dogs, and as soon as the sun came up it struck the dew sharply. I loved this shot of the steaming mailbox.


It's been pretty rainy; I'm not sure if the grass has stopped growing yet. It's a jungle out there, no fooling.


One morning it was raining like crazy, and of course I had to take out the trash. I really felt sorry for the garbage men that day. The rain would come down intermittently like crazy, as if you were passing in and out of Niagara Falls. I think this guy was running for shelter when he spotted me in the garage.

"Change course! Change course! Dive dive dive!"

It rained most of the morning. That afternoon I was down by one of our local churches when I saw this flock of turkey vultures drying themselves on the roof. My picture does not do the scene justice --- there were at least a dozen and those suckers are huge.


Finally, on the topic of seasons: You may have seen a news report from AP that said retail giant Target was going to respect customers' wish to avoid the "Christmas creep," quoting marketing officer Rick Gomez of Target as saying, "They want us to pause, and be really intentional and recognize Thanksgiving. What they don't want us to do is go right into Christmas. So, we are going to respect that." Well, either this is another fake news story or Gomez is full of it, because I was in Target yesterday and the dollar-store entryway was being transferred over to Christmas stuff. This little item caught my eye as I passed women's wear:


Number of Thanksgiving-themed items spotted: 0. Stuff it, Target, you jive turkey vultures.

No comments: