Sunday, March 5, 2023

Puff, the magic jacket.

I know I'm getting to be an old fart, but I'm not sure I understand the modern take on the puffer jacket.


Is it really helpful to have no use of your hands? I guess the collar part is useful for when you come home from the vet and they don't want you biting at the stitches. 

The classic down jacket was a great innovation, a lightweight garment that used the insulating power of air to provide better protection against the wind and cold than wool, all in a water-resistant outer layer. Add the faux-fur collar that zipped into a hood, completely covering the head but for a fist-sized front viewport, and you had a snorkel. A friend of mine went to college in Buffalo and swore that the snorkel was the only way he survived the winter.

The disadvantage of the down jacket was that it was only a jacket -- as with so much cold-weather gear, the upper body was kept nice and toasty but the legs had to fend for themselves. I might leave the house with an undershirt, shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, and coat, while between the waist and the boots all I had were tighty whities and a layer of cotton or denim. Poor legs! 

Down jackets got longer, becoming down coats, but I don't know what the hell this is:



For only $3,075 at Bergdorf Goodman you too can own this padded circus tent. Such a bargain! And this isn't even the biggest one I've seen.

I guess there's an advantage, as if you're cold enough and tired enough you can just tuck yourself in at the ends and have a cozy place to nap wherever you are. Good luck sitting in any kind of chair with that thing on, though.

No comments: