Sunday, September 27, 2020

Miscellaneous.

Yesterday kind of fell apart on me for a variety of reasons, and I had no time to really work on this blog. But rather than disappoint my public (My Public! How they love me!), I am resorting to the old random thoughts column. I always thought those were cheating, but they do enable one to use ideas that don't make a large coherent thought. Coherent thoughts being in short supply everywhere these days.

💻💻💻

Some candy bars just aren't universal as are others. You can find Reese's things everywhere, but Clark bars, Chunkys, 5th Avenues, and others can be hard to find. Including this:


The Whatchamacallit bar was introduced by Hershey's in 1978, but I don't think I ever had one. The Hershey's site says that the name was picked "from a list of nearly 100 possible names brainstormed by Hershey and ad agency staff." It's a fun name, but it says nothing about what's inside. That was probably useful when they changed the formula in 1987 to include caramel. 

I found it delightful. It has an excellent texture for a Hershey's product, light and yet toothsome, and you can't go too far wrong with caramel and chocolate. I wish they made it in Fun Size packages so I could buy a bag to eat on Halloween give out to trick-or-treaters.

🍫🍫🍫

Speaking of Halloween, I mentioned yesterday that we may be trying to rush into the holiday stream to get rid of 2020 fast. Well, the trees here are rushing too, turning color a little early. 


I think it's because we've had dry weather for a couple of weeks. It was a nice change from the long, wet summer, but the trees might all be nekkid by Columbus Day. 

🍁🍁🍁

I may have mentioned that we love our Bosch dishwasher. Having lived our early married life with no dishwasher (husbands not included), we would have liked a clunky old Yugoslavian machine if it got the dishes clean. When we got a house it came with a Kenmore, which was okay, but pretty loud. When it had to be replaced, the Bosch came recommended and has performed admirably.

But I have, of course, one complaint. It's the little flap door you see below, on the machine's detergent compartment.

The little flap door is where you put the rinse aid (i.e., Jet Dry) to help dry the dishes clearly. If it is empty the dishwasher has to run about twenty minutes longer. The flap door is separate from the unit, attached to indents on the bottom with little nubs. Well, one of the nubs broke off somehow. The door stays on, but I think it leaks rinse aid. Of course you can't buy the little flap door on its own; you have to spend $65 for the whole dispensing unit, and if you're Mr. Handythumbs like me, good luck replacing it without breaking something. I just want a new door, which probably costs them pennies to manufacture. Grrrrr.

💲💲💲

A fellow I used to think had some sense posted that "If you aren't a fascist, Antifa isn't your enemy." I guess he hasn't seen all the videos of Antifa burning down local businesses and attacking people they don't know. Antifa is a mob, and mobs don't stop to examine your credentials before they pull you out of a car to beat you, harass you at a restaurant, or set fire to the block where your dry cleaning shop has been running for years. I have had to classify that fellow as an uniformed dodo now.

Anyway, I also saw this online, which seems to have a lot more truth to it.  

Heh.

💣💣💣

I was informed that the Mets have failed to make the playoffs. Good. Less temptation to watch.

Major League Baseball: "We need to start up baseball again this year! The American people need to know we're with them in this time of Wuhan Flu!"


Also Major League Baseball: "We need to make common cause with communists who hate most of the people in America!"

⚾⚾⚾

Should I stop now? I think I should stop now. 


All right.

3 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Our dishwasher does a great job, but mostly I think because Mrs. PLW insists on removing all of the dirty dishes that I have placed in it so she can wash each one in the sink before reloading it in the dishwasher in an approved manner.

FredKey said...

I hate to sound critical, but Mrs. PLW may be weak on the concept. That said, you can't put a whole burnt turkey in the dishwasher and expect it to disintegrate.

Stiiv said...

PLW - if you guys had a cleaning lady come in once a week, your spouse would probably clean the house before the cleaner got there. My Mom was that way, too.